Thursday, October 28, 2010

Looking Back

It's during a random search of all my past friendships from high school that I sit here tonight looking into the lives of all the people I came to know. 6 years I spent "Midst the Hills of Kentucky, neath the Clear southern skies", securely tucked between two massive hills, the nearest town a little over 3.5 miles away. The only shopping center "in town" was a pharmacy drug store and a Wal-Mart. McDonalds was a treat, if we wanted pizza we'd have to pick it up at Little Ceasers, cause lets be real NO ONE was going to deliver.

Oakdale Christian High, now known as Oakdale Christian Academy. It's not the school that I'm thinking about though, I'm mostly thinking about the friendships that I made. A boy/girl boarding school, female and male dorm buildings strategically placed at opposite ends of the school. We lived together, ate breakfast, lunch and dinner together, shared social hour after school, went to school together, we did everything together.

Promises were made that we'd never loose touch, that we'd forever cherish the bounds we had created and never ever stop talking, communicating, sharing our lives despite the distance that separated us. I guess somehow life just happened and what we swore wouldn't happen did, we grew up, some of us got married and had families, made new friends now Facebook is all we have.

Maybe we'll get a random instant message but they're few and far between. Phone calls? What's that? Actually speaking to one another on the phone? Are you kidding me? We have email for that. This wasn't suppose to happen to us because our high school years were much more different than the regular kids who went to public school and lived at home. Yet somehow it still did.

I guess this is just the course of life, but thinking back I wish we wouldn't have let life "interfere". Now we simply peek into each others lives, look at pictures without dropping a line. It is what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment