Friday, October 7, 2011

Keeping Friends Close

It was my first day as a sophomore in high school in 1992. I was entering my 4th year at Oakdale, a little private school that housed about 60 people (including staff). The school resides nuzzled between two hills "midst the hills of Kentucky, neath the clear southern skies". 


I met a boy that year, a boy that would play a part in the course that my life would take. It's been 19 years since I met that boy.  Utter shock just hit me: it's really been 19 years? I don't know where the time has gone. 
 
I keep my friends closer to me now than I ever have before. Losing Ricky was a reality check I wish I would have had before: to love your friends, keep them close so that they know you love them. People who know me know that I have very few close friends.  I have 4 in fact. I know I could call on any one of them and I'd know they'd drop everything to be there for me if I needed them to be.  He is one of them. 
 
We grew up together in our most volatile teenage years.  We've shared a lot of good times, some hard times, we've cried some tears, we've somehow managed to stay friends across the miles all these years.  He's a loyal friend who somehow bears thru my constant babble in the times we get to speak. He thinks I'm funny.   He inspires me to be a better artist.  He doesn't steer me wrong when it comes to movies or music.
 
He's family.
 
My life is better because I know him.
 
Happy Birthday My Dear Friend, Jacob! My wish for you this day is pure happiness, sweet happiness, the kind of happy that keeps a grin on your face long after the day is done.
 
And because we share our birthday in October. I found it appropriate to post this Halloween pic from 1992! Not really sure what we were shooting for with this get up but I'm thinking aliens??? Who knows!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment