Saturday, June 29, 2013

He's Finally Home!

So about a year ago, I sat at my computer and barely got thru composing a blog about the departure that my little brother Charles Oliver Bonilla.  He had been deployed to serve time in Afghanistan.  Charles had told us he was being deployed a good 6 months in advance, which sent every female member in our family into tears.  However, after spending many hours talking to him about it, I knew that he was passionate about what he was doing and knew that the army had truly transformed my brother from a boy to a man who knew exactly what he has signed up for.


The day that he was leaving, my heart ached terribly because even though he has become a man I still see him as a little boy with bouncing curls, freckles, with a chubby cheek framed toothless grin. Nothing has been more frightening in my life, than knowing that he was now going to be constantly surrounded by danger and that at any point something could go terribly wrong and he could get caught in the crossfires of war.


For the last year, I have prayed diligently every day, that God watch over and protect him and bring him comfort during his times of need.  Every time we were able to communicate while he was away, brought me much comfort and I knew that God was answering my prayers for his protection.

It's almost been a month since Charles made it home safe and sound.  As 4th of July approaches however, I'm reminded, that not all families are as fortunate as ours is to have our brother back unharmed.  As you all know, there are many families that face the daily struggle of dealing with severely injured loved ones or have to face the loss of a loved one due to war. So this entire experience has been bittersweet, but I am very grateful. I'm so thankful for every husband and wife, every mom and dad, daughter and son, brother and sister that make a choice to serve our country. I'm even more thankful for all those individuals who are serving in war torn countries that are laying their lives on the line every hour of every day.   

Charles landed on American soil on 6/6/13 in New Hampshire where Pease Greeters were present to offer a very loving and warm welcome to all the men and women that were returning from their time served.  I'm so very thankful to JoAnne & Fred Schottler, who were there to greet and photograph my brother as well as the 200 + returning soldiers. 

The following pictures have been photographed by Fred Schottler with Pease Greeters.  To visit the website click HERE




 

No comments:

Post a Comment